Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Relativity


This is one of my favorite M. C. Escher works. (M.C. Escher's "Relativity" (c) 2006 The M.C. Escher Company BV - the Netherlands. All rights reserved. Used by permission. www.mcescher.com)

Even more impressive to me than the beauty and genius expressed in the finished work is that it was a woodcut. A woodcut for crying out loud! He didn't just draw this thing, he carved it, removing every bit of white that you see (unless it is printed on black paper with white ink, but I don't think that's the case).

Then you've got the whole "deeper meaning" part of the work, where you wonder if 'up' is the same 'up' for everyone... likewise with the 'down' and 'side to side'. I'm not saying I'm solving any of life's mysteries by looking at this print, just that it makes me think and I like stuff that does that.

Tim "irregular division of a plane" James

2 comments:

Barrett McLain said...

Man, I HAVE to add some pics to my site!

Anonymous said...

Finally, a blog that actually gets updated once in a while.

Thanks for the reading material, Tim.