Thursday, January 25, 2007

Take On the World!!


Well, they've done it. Garmin is doing a Super Bowl commercial this year.

Starring Maposaurus (right) and Garmin Man, this is a sure-fire winner, folks, let me tell you what.

Godzilla versus Power Rangers accompanied by Heavy Metal. What could be better?

I'm reserving my harshest judgement for this thing till after it airs on the 4th, but I must admit to taking some pretty high readings on my lame-o-meter after first watching.

But the dang song is somewhat stuck in my head (along with the 'Funk Soul Brother' that is Fatboy Slim's latest hit... most lyrically complex song ever. That's true poetry, no?) so perhaps there is something to this approach that I just can't appreciate due to being too close to the action. (Not to mention overly judgemental).

So let me know what you think... is this a success or not? Make your predictions now, and we'll find out halfway through the second quarter of the Bears/Colts game.

Tim "new highway" James

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear tim,
I'll make my judgement after I see the commercial. Maposaurus from the outside looks silly, but if it has a cool Fatboy Slim song maybe it will make up for it.

Signed
Tim " I miss the Bud Bowl Commercials" Crippen

Scott said...

All I can really say after watching the clip is:

Holy Crap.

I'm confused, slightly, by the rock band and the map-a-whats-the-heck, but hey, confusion creates buzz.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it. Much better than earlier Garmin advertising. Although I think it would have taken it over the top to see Yao Ming kick the Map-thing around a bit.